Top Ten Countdown: Reasons for Leaving the Canadian Health Care Queues
10) You want to outshine the North Koreans and Cubans.
9) You really won’t lose your Canadian Identity. We didn’t invent single-payer, universal health care. We adopted the system from Great Britain.
8) The politicians, health care bureaucrats, and care providers telling you to “wait your turn” in the queue will most likely never personally experience one.
7) You decide that you’re not “like everybody else”. Your medical needs are unique to you. Unless you have an identical twin with identical medical needs, there is no one like you!
6) You agree with Chief Justice Beverley McLachlin of the Supreme Court of Canada that “Access to a waiting list is not access to health care.”
5) You realize that “patient wait times guarantees” vary across Canada depending on where you live and the priority areas chosen by your provincial or territorial government.
4) The data on wait times can be inaccurate thus leaving you with no true indication of exactly when your number will come up or how long your wait could last.
3) Your health and quality of life may deteriorate while you are waiting thereby making you ineligible for certain treatments or resulting in irreversible damage.
2) You can increase your chances of becoming a survivor.
1) It’s your health and it’s your choice.